As a bride, you probably have a long list of things that need to get done. Getting the dress, booking the venue, picking out invitations...the list goes on and on. One thing that I know many brides put on the back burner or discard all together is Skin Care. I can't stress enough how important it is to start a skin care regimen many months before your wedding. All the makeup in the world (whether you do your own or hire a beauty professional) cannot hide bad skin. Brides commit to a new diet or start new workout routines but often forget that their skin is equally as important.
Doing simple things such as taking off your makeup before bed and using SPF can do a world of difference to your skin when done daily. Yes, daily! There are no magic creams that will do it in a day. If you want to see a difference in your skin, you need to be consistent. Below are some tips and tricks that can help make a difference in your skin and create a flawless canvas.
FACE: Your face will be in every single photo. And not just the photographers photos. Auntie May and Uncle Tom will have pictures of you too!
- Use SPF daily - Using SPF daily ensures that your skin is protected from UBV rays. Leaving your skin unprotected runs the risk of sun/age spots, premature skin aging, wrinkling and other skin conditions such as melanoma.
- Take your makeup off before bed / Have a night time skin care routine - At night, while sleeping, your skin goes into "recovery mode" which means your skin is most able to absorb the skin care you apply on it. Not taking off your makeup may cause clogged pores which leads to breakouts.
- Use a scrub or mask 1 - 2 times weekly - Using a scrub and/or mask is a great way to remove and pull out dead skin cells or impurities and uncover fresh new cells. This helps your skin care products penetrate the skin and be more effective.
- Use oils in conjunction with your moisturizer - Doing this helps lock in moisture. Oil and water do not mix, so when an oil is applied over moisturizer, it makes for very quenched skin. This is very important if you suffer from dry skin or during the winter months.
- Use an eye creams/patches - The skin around the eyes is the most softest and fragile of all. It's prone to dryness and fatigue which later shows up at dark circles and/or puffy eyes. Using creams/gels/serums/patches helps to address these issues.
- Get facials done - While getting facials are not 100% necessary, they're definitely amazing. However, if you suffer from problematic skin (such as acne) visiting an esthetician monthly leading up to your wedding is very highly recommended.
NECK: Your neck and decolletage are part of your face! Give it some love too.
- Make sure to apply SPF and all skin care onto your neck and decolletage
- Be gentle and always apply skin care in an upward motion (against gravity)
LIPS: Someone special will be kissing those babies, keep them silky smooth.
- Use a lip scrub
- Use a tooth brush to remove dry skin
- Keep them hydrated with lip balms/ointments
HANDS: Your hands will be photographed almost as much as your face. Think about it. Ring shots, flower shots, hand holding shots. Don't forget about them, they're important!
- Get manicures
- Keep them hydrated with hand/body creams
- Exfoliate and smooth skin with hand/body scrubs
DIET: Make your skin shine from the inside! I'm not going to tell you to go on some crazy diet and exercise, but I will tell you this. Drink lots and lots of water. Water, water, water! It flushes out toxins and keeps skin hydrated.
Always be mindful of your skin type. Is your skin dry, oily, normal, combination, sensitive, etc. Be sure to choose products that are meant for your skin type. Not sure? Choose products directed to "All Skin Types".
I personally do not use skin care that is full of harmful chemicals. Unlike makeup that sits on top of the skin, skin care is absorbed into your blood stream. I use mostly botanically based products in my kit that are Gluten Free, Paraben Free, SLS Free, non-comedogenic (does not clog pores) and are Leaping Bunny Certified (not tested on animals).
Here are a few of my favorite skin care products that I both use on myself as well as my clients and are available in my shop:
One Drop Wonder
Masque of Zen
Creme of the Crop
Forty Cure Creme
Here are a few more of my favorite things:
Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels
Lucas Papaw Ointment